Thursday, March 31, 2011

How I knit, redux

I noticed, while knitting yesterday, that my current default grip actually involves holding both needles about halfway down. (The exception is for first stitches, which involve a bit of convoluted juggling.) The throwing part of making the stitch involves not only letting go of the needle, but using the left needle to kind of lever the work back so that the needle tips move in relation to my hand, rather than vice versa. And if any left-hand manipulation of stitches is required, I do the same levering motion.

Which is why I know that I can knit with 5mm bamboo needles and grabby wool ... and I'm not sure it works with any other combination of materials. Because if I let go of a needle and it slides out of the stitches? Or if I try to lever the whole shebang and it just slides the stitches around without moving the needles?

...yeah.

It's also why I am wary of ordering knitting sheaths -- I move my needles around! -- or things like http://knittingaid.com/ -- especially since the latter I would probably have to use at a weird angle (with the needles pointing up, maybe) in order to reach it, and I don't know that it functions that way.

What I really need is, like...

...well, a properly working body would be nice.

But aside from that? I really don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment